Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Today we rode a boat up the main river to see the sites. It is amazing how different downtown is from the south side of town where we study. Downtown is very modern and clean. The south side is very Soviet and well...not so clean. But the people there are interesting. This to me is more important than any national shrine or stone fortress in the center of town. In fact, I would say the real stone fortresses are the hearts of those I interact with on a daily basis. It is this that makes all people worth-while.
The most interesting attraction of the day was not the boat ride. What we saw off the boat was most interesting and almost a throw back to Soviet times. Literally hundreds of soldiers and police were blocking the central area of Red Square (the area surrounded by GYM, Lenin's tomb, and the big basilica). You would have thought that a terrorist attack had just taken place, but it turns out it was all for a concert-a Joe Cocker concert! I don't think he would draw this much security in the States, but here they bring out everyone.
About my health; it seems that I have finally been touched by the new germs. I feel like I am running a little fever and have a bit of a headache. My stomach is also not doing so well. This happens to me when I leave the country, but the fact that it has hit me so late is most unusual.
Now, about the people. The people here are not nearly as friendly as they were in Kazakstan. The students in the dorm are very standoffish. They just don't seem to know how to respond to us. Since I am getting a little more comfortable with the language, I will probably try to be more assertive to introduce myself to them.
My other goal this week is the enquire about finding a good church. I have asked one student where a good one is located, but she had no idea. It is so strange not to see an obvious church building on the street corners like in the American south. Maybe this is a good thing, as it may indicate that folks here don't compromise. God has always been very faithful to me in guiding me to sound churches that not only encourage me, but keep me looking within myself to see that I am making my calling and election sure.
And so I sign off. For those who tune in, my next blog will be about the Kremlin...the inside!!!!! For those who are gun fanatics, they supposedly have a killer national armoury museum in there, so I will be sure to let you all know about that.
Peace out from the Wild Wild East

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home