Friday, January 13, 2006

Alright, I know that I am bad. Sorry to all of those who faithfully have been reading my blog. I have not been to an internet cafe in a while since the semester has ended. I definitely have a lot to say and little time, so I will probably wrap up this blog in a couple of sittings.
I am due to get on a plane to the States in about 50 hours. I can not believe my time here is almost through. On the one hand I feel like I have been here for a very long time. On the other hand, time has flown by.
Since my last blog I have celebrated Christmas and New Years, been stopped and fined by Russian customs, gone to Kazakstan, and done a good share of socializing with some great friends. The Russian customs incident was a fiasco that almost prevented me from going to Kazakstan. I showed up at the terminal entrance and did not have my visa extention in my passport (it turns out I had the document in my passport carrier, but was not told by the university really what the document was for). I put it in my passport necklace and forgot about it. All that the customs officer saw in my passport was my expired visa. Needless to say, they did not let me leave the country and slapped a 60 dollar fine on me for not having the document. I was able to change my flight to leave the same time the next day and made it to Aktau. I did not get to see some of my closest friends since they had apparently gone out of town. I did manage to hunt down my old host family and their relatives with whom I often hung out. It was a great surprise and blessing. It turns out that the family's oldest son is here in Moscow studying. I went and spent the evening with him last night. all of this really made my hard work studying this language worth while. I know that I will always correspond with them.
Okay faithful fans, I will wrap my thoughts reflections up next time. Getting ready the leave the Wild Wild East...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home